Compensation and Salary Structure - P&S
Effective: July 1, 2010
Updated/Revised: April 1, 2017
Contact: University Human Resources Classification and Compensation Office (UHRCC)
Iowa State University administers compensation policies and programs for Professional and Scientific (P&S) staff to provide a method for equitable classification of positions in relation to the level or work performed. A comprehensive salary structure has been established for P&S positions. Each P&S position has been assigned to one of twelve pay grades.
Philosophy and Statement of Value
Iowa State University strives to maintain a compensation and salary structure policy for P&S employees that is--
- Compatible with the university's mission and strategic plan
- Compatible with the institution's culture and core values
- Equitable externally and internally
- Effective in recruiting and retaining employees
The university endeavors to cultivate a rewarding and productive work environment through the selection and retention of a highly qualified, talented, and diverse workforce, and the provision of opportunities to experience growth and advancement. The university regards regular communication with employees and supervisors as necessary to promote understanding of university compensation and effective performance management.
Iowa State University will provide fair and competitive compensation packages to recognize and reward its P&S employees within the boundaries of financial feasibility. The university will regularly assess compensation levels for market comparables and will conduct salary surveys to periodically adjust the salary structure and pay ranges to remain competitive.
In assigning an appropriate grade to each position, University Human Resources Classification and Compensation (UHRCC) evaluates each position to determine its worth relative to the market and other positions within the organization. The evaluation procedure is standardized to maintain consistency throughout the university.
- University Human Resources
- Policy: Additional Compensation
- Policy: Appointment Duration - Professional and Scientific
- Policy: Change in Status of Current Employee - Professional and Scientific
- Policy: Employee Records
- Policy: Performance Management - Professional and Scientific
- Policy: Reclassification - Professional and Scientific
- Policy: Statement on Ethics - Professional and Scientific
- Professional and Scientific Council
- Policy: Salary Increases - Professional and Scientific
- Policy: Starting Rate of Pay - Professional and Scientific