Keys and Building Access Cards
Effective: Moved to Policy Library from UPM 12.5(1)
Updated/Revised: December 6, 2012
Contact: Facilities Planning and Management - Building Security Services
This policy clarifies the issuance and accountability of all keys and access cards which control access to university buildings and their contents.
Building Security Services is a unit within Facilities Planning and Management (FP&M) that provides keys and manages building access cards to university faculty, staff and students for all general university buildings.
This policy is established to provide deans, directors, and department chairs information and authority to audit and regulate the issuance, transfer and return of all keys and building access cards under the keyed and access controlled system for Iowa State University. This policy outlines the responsibilities of departmental personnel, as well as the holders of keys and access cards.
This policy applies to any individual who has been granted authorized access to any university property. All key and building access card holders are responsible for the keys and access cards assigned to them.
It is the intent of the university that all buildings shall be locked outside of normal working hours to maximize the security of the buildings, occupants, and building contents.
Authorized Locks, Keys, and Access Cards
The installation, changing or removal of locks shall be performed only by FP&M Building Security Services through a service request. Electronic locks installed on exterior door(s) must be connected to the ISU network centrally controlled system. Unauthorized locks are prohibited on doors and if found will be removed and discarded. Any damages or repairs resulting from the removal of unauthorized locks will be the responsibility of the department if found in violation of this policy.
All keys and building access cards are the property of Iowa State University. FP&M Building Security Services is the only authorized supplier for university keys. No person shall knowingly possess an unauthorized key or access card for Iowa State University.
ISUCards (university identification cards) issued after May 2009 incorporate dual technology which allows building access. The ISUCard and dual technology card are issued by the ISUCard Office. Holders of the original ISUCard and the original white Building Access Card will continue to use their cards until one of the cards no longer works.
Lost or Stolen Keys
In the event a key is lost or stolen, the appropriate dean, director, or department chair responsible for the door associated with the lost key will determine if rekeying needs to occur. Costs associated with the rekeying will be paid by the issuing department. Fees for keys not returned are the responsibility of the issuing department. If the issuing department wishes to recover any of these costs from the employee, they must work directly with ISU Accounts Receivable to accomplish that.
Duplication or Lending Prohibited
Duplicating and/or lending keys are prohibited. If an individual lends his/her key(s) to anyone or makes a duplicate so that others can gain access to university property, he/she may be subject to disciplinary action from his/her supervisor and loss of access privileges to university buildings.
Dean, Director, or Department Chair is responsible for:
- The full implementation of this policy within his/her areas
- Appointing a member of his/her department to be responsible for the duties of department Key Coordinator and/or department Card Coordinator
- Approving the completed annual key and card access audits
- Maintaining appropriate departmental records subject to an internal audit
- Determining if rekeying is to occur in the event that a key is lost or stolen (costs associated with the rekeying will be paid by the employee/department)
Departmental Key Coordinator is responsible for:
- Completing a Key Request form (see Resources below) to assist employees with the request for a new, transfer or replacement key
- Completing an annual audit for all individuals who have key access to your department/area (see Resources below)
- Renewing annually the keys issued to students who have continuing need for the keys
- Notifying FP&M Building Security Services when an individual has left, no longer requires access, or has returned a key
- Returning keys to FP&M Building Security Services (keys are issued to individuals and will remain in the key holder's name until FP&M physically receives and processes the keys as returned)
- Reporting lost or stolen keys immediately (within 24 hours of discovery) to FP&M Building Security Services via email to email@example.com or by calling 294-4211; and for contacting DPS at 294-4428 to file a report
Departmental Card Coordinator is responsible for:
- Completing an Access Card Request form (see Resources below) to assist employees with card access to doors within your department/area
- Completing an annual audit for all individuals who have card access to your department/area (see Resources below)
- Removing card access from students who no longer need access
- Notifying FP&M Building Security Services to remove access privileges to your department/area when an individual has left, no longer requires access, or has returned a card
- Returning access cards that are no longer needed to FP&M Building Security Services for re-programming and re-use
- Reporting lost or stolen access cards immediately (within 24 hours of discovery) to FP&M Building Security Services via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 294-4211; and for contacting DPS at 294-4428 to file a report
Technician external to the department (e.g., ITS, EH&S, FP&M personnel) is responsible for:
- Initiating key or card access request form
- Obtaining appropriate dean, director or department chair approval for access into the department's space
- Rekeying when keys are lost by technician(s) external to the department
Department of Public Safety is responsible for:
- Enhancing safety, personal security, and campus access services
- Monitoring, evaluating, and responding to access control alarms generated by the campus-based access control system
- Analyzing and querying access control transactional data as required to meet assigned responsibilities
- Monitoring closed and/or secured campus facilities and providing emergency or approved after-hours access
- Working with FP&M to schedule and complete required manual locking and unlocking of designated campus facilities
- Meeting the requirements listed under both the Department Key and Card Coordinator responsibilities
- Working with FP&M to maintain a complete and secure set of metal keys to university facilities for emergency and patrol access
- Providing Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) input and/or assistance as requested by FP&M or individual units on campus
- Providing input and/or advice to FP&M and the relevant unit on re-keying in the event that a key is lost or stolen
Key Holder is responsible for:
- Picking up keys from FP&M Building Security Services
- Maintaining and securing keys issued to them
- Reporting lost or stolen keys to departmental Key Coordinator immediately (within 24 hours of discovery)
- Confirming that the key has been cleared from their records
- Paying any replacement fee resulting from loss or failure to return an assigned key
Card Holder is responsible for:
- Reporting lost or stolen ISU Building Access Card immediately (within 24 hours of discovery) to FP&M Building Security Services via email to email@example.com or by calling 294-4211
- Deactivating lost or stolen card in AccessPlus