Effective: Moved to Policy Library from UPM 4.1(1), UPM 4.3(2)
Updated/Revised: July 1, 2017
Contact: Office of Equal Opportunity (OEO)
Iowa State University is committed to achieving excellence through a diverse workforce.
In light of Iowa State University's goal to diversify its employee population, it is the university's policy that the pool of applicants for all positions being filled at the university be as broad as possible and that all current employees have the opportunity to be considered for open positions for which they are qualified.
Under certain circumstances vacant positions may be filled through internal recruitment. The depth and breadth of the internal recruitment must be approved in advance by the appropriate vice president and the director of Equal Opportunity. Therefore, the filling of all positions shall be accomplished through a process that includes announcement of the opening as widely as appropriate in terms of the level of duties and responsibilities of the position.
Exceptions to this policy may be granted by the president, based on a prior written request endorsed by the appropriate vice president and reviewed by the director of Equal Opportunity. Ordinarily, such requests will be based on documented evidence that qualified candidates are unlikely to be available through an open search, or that an extended search would risk negating an opportunity to hire a member of an under represented group.
This policy does not apply to:
- Predoctoral and postdoctoral positions
- Casual hourly positions
- Positions governed by Regents Merit System rules
- Formal reclassification of existing positions
- Administrative positions that are filled on a rotating basis
- Interim administrative appointments
- Positions identified as lines of progressive advancement
Advertising requirements in accordance with this policy:
- Continuous professional and scientific (P&S) positions at pay grade 37 or above - advertise nationally for a minimum of 30 calendar days
- Continuous P&S positions below pay grade 37 and P&S term positions - advertise locally/regionally for a minimum of 15 calendar days
- Regular faculty positions - advertise nationally for a minimum of 30 calendar days
- Adjunct, senior clinician and lecturer positions - advertise locally/regionally for a minimum of 30 calendar days
- Clinician and lecturer positions - advertise locally/regionally for a minimum of 15 calendar days