Effective: November 10, 2008
November 1, 2012 January 1, 2016
Police Department of Public Safety
Please see the proposed amendments to this policy (in red font) regarding e-cigarettes and submit your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 16, 2015.
The Smokefree Air Act, effective July 1, 2008, applies to Iowa State University. The purpose of this legislation is "to reduce the level of exposure by the general public and employees to environmental tobacco smoke" and is designed to "regulate smoking in public places, places of employment, and outdoor areas" and "to improve the public health of Iowans."
Included in this policy statement are the applicable sections of the Smokefree Air Act, Iowa Code Chapter 142D, and the rules and regulations of the Iowa Department of Public Health found at Iowa Administrative Code Section 641, Chapter 153, that relate to the campus community.
Consistent with the purposes of the Smokefree Air Act, and to protect the health of the campus community, Iowa State University has extended this policy to include e-cigarettes (personal vaporizers (PV’s)).
This policy applies to all university employees, students and visitors. This policy covers all university owned, leased or operated buildings, property and grounds under the control of the university.
For the purpose of
the Smokefree Air Act, this policy:
- The university is a "school" and "public educational facility" governed by the Board of Regents, State of Iowa, pursuant to Iowa Code section 262.7.
- The grounds of the university include "parking lots, athletic fields, playgrounds, tennis courts, and any other outdoor area under the control of" the university, including "inside any vehicle located on such [university] grounds."
- Smoking material includes "lighted cigar, cigarette, pipe, or other tobacco product in any manner or form including ash, cigarette butts or filters, or cigar stubs."
- Smoking materials also include vaporization in devices commonly called "e-cigarettes" or "personal vaporizors" (PVs), regardless of whether the device is used for tobacco derivatives, nicotine or other substances.
It is the policy of Iowa State University to comply with the Smokefree Air Act by declaring the entire university grounds and properties as a Smoke-Free Campus. Therefore, smoking is prohibited in "public buildings and vehicles owned, leased, or operated by or under the control of" the university as well as on the entire "grounds of the university."
Smoking is prohibited and a person shall not smoke in any of the following enclosed areas:
- Enclosed areas within places of employment including but not limited to work areas, private offices, conference and meeting rooms, classrooms, auditoriums, employee lounges and cafeterias, hallways, medical facilities, restrooms, elevators, stairs and stairwells.
- Vehicles owned, leased or provided by the university.
- Privately owned vehicles when operated or parked on the grounds of the university.
Smoking is prohibited and a person shall not smoke in or on any of the following outdoor areas:
- The entire grounds of the university.
- The seating and parking areas of outdoor sports arenas, stadiums, amphitheaters and other entertainment venues where members of the general public assemble to witness entertainment events.
- The ISU Farms.
- Veenker Golf Course.
When a university employee, student, or visitor enters the grounds of the university any smoking material shall be extinguished and disposed of in an appropriate receptacle at the perimeter of the grounds of the university.
The sale, sampling or advertisement of all tobacco products is prohibited on university property or at university sponsored events in accordance with university Trademark Management policy.
- Smoking will be allowed in designated private apartments in university housing in accordance with Department of Residence policy.
- Smoking will be allowed in an enclosed area within the university that conducts a medical or scientific research or therapy program, if smoking is an integral part of the program.
Responsibilities and Enforcement
All members of the ISU community are responsible for observing the provisions of this policy and share responsibility for compliance.
The Smokefree Air Act designates the Iowa Department of Public Health as responsible for enforcement with respect to tobacco products. ISU Department of Public Safety will coordinate compliance with the law on campus.
The Iowa Department of Public Health designates law enforcement authorities of the state and of each political subdivision of the state to assist with the enforcement of
this law the Smokefree Air Act. ISU Department of Public Safety officers may issue citations against a person who smokes in an area where smoking is prohibited is responsible for enforcement of this policy and the Smokefree Air Act on the grounds of the university
Concerns or complaints regarding this policy that involve ISU property should be directed to the ISU Department of Public Safety by calling 294-4428 or by visiting their website, www.police.iastate.edu.
Any person may also register a complaint with the Iowa Department of Public Health by:
- Calling the toll-free number, 1-888- 944-2247, or
- Registering a complaint on the department's website, www.IowaSmokefreeAir.gov, or
- Downloading a complaint form from the department's website and mailing it to the department at:
Department of Public Health
Division of Tobacco Use Prevention and Control
Lucas State Office Building
321 East 12th Street
Des Moines, IA 50319