Select Agents and Toxins
Effective: Documented and posted in the Policy Library August 2007
Reviewed: February 2016
Contact: Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S)
Federal regulations (42 CFR Parts 72 & 73, 7 CFR Part 331, 9 CFR Part 121) govern the use, transfer, and storage of Select Agents and Toxins at Iowa State University. The Select Agents and Toxins Program was established by the U.S. Department of Agriculture/Animal Plant Health Inspection Service (USDA/APHIS) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as mandated by the Public Health Security and Bioterrorism Preparedness and Response Act of 2002.
Any principal investigator (PI) who intends to use, transfer, or store select agents and toxins must first contact the Responsible Official (RO) in the Department of Environmental Health and Safety in order to register personnel and facilities before research may proceed. A security risk assessment of personnel and facilities will be conducted by the RO. After the registration and risk assessment have been submitted, an inspection may be performed by the USDA/APHIS/CDC.
- EH&S Biosafety Manual
- EH&S Biological Safety resource page
- Office for Responsible Research
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)
- Public Health Security and Bioterrorism Preparedness and Response Act of 2002 [PDF]
- Select Agents and Toxins [Policy in PDF with line numbers]