Animals on Campus (Service, Emotional Support, Pets, and Other Animals on Campus)
Effective: August 1, 2021
Contact: General Counsel
This policy addresses the presence and possession of animals on Iowa State University property, including its buildings and grounds. This policy also explains the university’s requirements and guidelines regarding the use of service and emotional support animals.
ISU is committed to fostering an inclusive environment for all members of its community, including individuals with disabilities who require service or emotional support animals. In order to support individuals with disabilities and promote adherence to laws requiring accommodations for individuals with disabilities, including the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act, the Fair Housing Act, and the Iowa Civil Rights Act, this policy and the accompanying procedures and guidance provides information concerning the appropriate use of and procedures associated with service and emotional support animals on university property.
- Buildings: Animals are not allowed in Iowa State University (“ISU” or the “university”) controlled buildings subject to the specific policy exemptions detailed in this policy and accompanying procedures and guidance.
- Grounds: Non-dangerous animals are generally permitted on ISU grounds but must be attended to, physically restrained, and under the control of the owner/person responsible for the animal at all times. Animals found running at large on university grounds, or unattended and tied to a fixed object on university grounds, or unattended in university buildings may be impounded and turned over to an appropriate university, city, or state agency.
- Health and Safety: Animals may be restricted from areas when and where their presence presents a health, safety, or sanitation concern. Animals brought on university property must be properly licensed and vaccinated under the laws of Iowa and evidence indicating such license and vaccination must be presentable. The owner is responsible for the prompt removal and proper disposal of any fecal matter or solid waste deposited by the animal.
- Damage: The owner is solely responsible for any damage to persons or property caused by the animal. ISU may seek restitution from the owner for any animal related damage or costs.
- Violations: Violation of this policy may also result in the animal being barred from ISU property, disciplinary action to the owner, and/or referral to appropriate law enforcement.
As detailed more fully in the accompanying procedures and guidance document, specific rules and guidelines apply to the following animals on university property:
- Service animals as defined and detailed in this policy and accompanying procedures and guidance.
- Emotional support animals (“ESA”) approved as a reasonable housing accommodation by the appropriate university office as defined and detailed in this policy and accompanying procedures and guidance.
- Animals receiving treatment at the Lloyd Veterinary Medical Center or other approved facility, as defined and detailed at https://vetmed.iastate.edu/vmc.
- Animals used for teaching and research purposes as approved by the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). Requests for such uses must be submitted to the Office of Research Ethics at phone: 515-294-9581; email: firstname.lastname@example.org; web: https://www.compliance.iastate.edu/committees/iacuc.
- Animals used for special events or demonstrations as approved by the Event Authorization Committee (EAC). Requests for such events or demonstrations must be submitted to EAC at phone: 515-294-7711; email: email@example.com; web: https://www.riskmanagement.iastate.edu/students/animals.
- Animals utilized for official purposes by the ISU Police Department or other law enforcement agency.
- Animals utilized or living at off-main-campus farms, ranches, and/or other teaching and research facilities as approved by ISU Research and Demonstration Farms. Questions about such animals may be directed to Research and Demonstration Farms at phone: 515-294-5045; web: https://www.farms.ag.iastate.edu/.
- Animals in university housing. Questions about such animals may be directed to the Department of Residence at web: https://housing.iastate.edu/forms/admin/animal.
Contact and Enforcement
The Iowa State University Police Department (ISU PD) serves as the university office primarily responsible for the implementation, enforcement, and administration of this policy. ISU PD may be contacted regarding this policy at:
Iowa State University Police Department
2519 Osborn Drive
Ames, Iowa 50011
Phone: 515-294-4428 or 911
ISU PD should be contacted in response to the following animal related issues and concerns:
- Emergencies and other immediate assistance.
- Animal bites and attacks.
- Disruptive, unsafe, unrestrained or unattended animals on ISU property.
- Damage to ISU property caused by animals.
Additional campus resources regarding animals on campus are detailed below in the Resources and Related Information section of this policy.
Procedures and Guidance
For important procedures and guidance on the application of this policy, see the online Procedures and Guidance document.
Resources and Related Information
Special events and
Office of Risk
1700 Administrative Services Building
ISU Research and
103 Curtiss Hall,
1809 S Riverside Drive
1076 Student Services Building
1076 Student Services Building
3810 Beardshear Hall
Office of Equal
3410 Beardshear Hall
- Ames Municipal Code, Chapter 3 - Animals
- Iowa Code Chapter 216C
- Iowa Code § 216.12
- Iowa Code § 216.8B
- Iowa Code § 216.8C
- Fair Housing Act, 42 U.S.C. §3601 et seq., as amended
- Section 504 Rehabilitation Act of 1973, 29 U.S.C. 794, as amended
- Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, 42 U.S.C., § 12101 et seq
- U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division, Frequently Asked Questions about Service Animals and the ADA