Effective: Moved to Policy Library from UPM 3.5(6)
Reviewed and Updated: February 15, 2018
Contact: University Human Resources (UHR)
All faculty and staff, except employees paid on the XH pay base, are entitled to eleven paid holidays each calendar year consisting of nine scheduled university holidays and two personal holidays. Personal holidays are included in the employee's monthly vacation accrual.
The nine scheduled holidays established in the official university calendar, as defined from Iowa Code Section 1C.2, include:
- New Year's Day (January 1)
- Martin Luther King Day (third Monday in January)
- Memorial Day (last Monday in May)
- Independence Day (July 4)
- Labor Day (first Monday in September)
- Thanksgiving Day (fourth Thursday in November)
- Friday after Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day (December 25)
- One additional day each year as determined by the university administration
When a holiday falls on a Saturday, the Friday preceding will be declared the holiday. When any holiday falls on a Sunday, the following Monday will be declared a holiday.
Persons employed less than full time earn pro-rated holidays based on their fractional appointment.
If an employee is on leave without pay for the work days preceding and following a holiday, the employee will not be paid for the holiday. If on leave without pay for only the working day preceding or following a holiday, the employee will be paid for the holiday.
University employees who are veterans (as defined in Iowa Code Section 91A.5A) may request unpaid time off on Veterans Day by following their normal procedures to request time off a month or more in advance. They may be asked to verify their veteran's status if there is any question. Those who accrue vacation may utilize accrued time to remain in paid status (utilizing one of the unscheduled holidays incorporated into vacation accrual). The university will continue to operate on Veteran's Day.
- Staffing Guidance for University Breaks
- Staffing Guidance for University Breaks Frequently Asked Questions
- Regents Policy Manual, 2.1.2F Holidays
- Employee Management
- Iowa Code 1C.1 Legal Public Holidays and 1C.2 Paid Holidays
- Payroll Office
- Religious Accommodation
- Holiday Time Off – Veterans Day (Iowa Code 91A.5A)
- Merit Employee Changes