Leave of Absence without Pay - P&S

Effective: Moved to Policy Library from UPM 3.5(7)
Updated/Revised: July 1, 2019
Contact: University Human Resources (UHR) Employee/Labor Relations Office


For Professional & Scientific personnel, this policy clarifies the authority to grant a leave of absence without pay and the maximum length of such leaves.

Faculty: see Faculty Handbook, 4.5.3. Merit employees: see Regents Merit System Rules, 681-3.149(8A).

Policy Statement

Requests for Professional & Scientific leaves of absence without pay are to be submitted to the department head and approved through the dean (or equivalent), and senior vice president (SVP). Except when covered by other university policy and based upon departmental needs, the final approver, the SVP/president, has the discretion to grant leave for up to one year in consultation with University Human Resources (UHR).

Under unusual circumstances, the SVP/president may extend the leave for an additional year in consultation with UHR.