Travel - Foreign

Effective: Moved to Policy Library from UPM 8.4(1)
Reviewed and Updated: August 1, 2020
Contact: Controller's Department


This policy covers the reimbursement of university travel-related expenses incurred while outside the United States.

Policy Statement

Travel within the 50 United States plus Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands is considered domestic travel. All other travel is foreign. This policy applies to travel paid from all university funding sources, except the Ames Laboratory contract.

The U.S. Department of State has established lodging and meal per diem rates for foreign travel, which are subject to change on a monthly basis. A traveler may claim lodging reimbursement if lodging was required. The amount of reimbursement equals the lesser of the   stated lodging per diem for the appropriate location or the actual costs of lodging.  Reference “Travel – Reimbursement” for specific guidance on the application of meal and lodging per diems for foreign travel.

International Business Travel (including athletic competition) must be registered with the Office of Risk Management (International Travel Registration). Business travelers must complete the international travel processes as part of registration.